Emily Pankhurst is lucky to be alive after wearing a bacteria laden tampon for nine days.
When the 20-year-old English college student fell ill she attributed her symptoms of toxic shock syndrome to stress brought on by final exams.
“I blamed deadlines…Actually I was seriously ill,” she told the Press Association via BuzzFeed.
It wasn’t until Emily noticed she had a bloated stomach and bloody discharge that she found the forgotten tampon.
“When I finally realized the tampon was in me and I pulled it out it was pure black. It was obviously coated in bacteria. I wouldn’t have known what it was apart from the string. It was horrible.”
Doctors saved the University of Canterbury student’s life by providing her with antibiotics, but she reportedly is unable to walk long distances.
Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare, life-threatening bacterial infection caused by Stapylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria.