It is always thrilling to me when anything I’ve written is recognized on any level by the people and entities kind enough to invest their time in digesting something I’ve written, said or done. I’m humbled and elated when someone thinks enough of what I do to nominate it publicly for a formal acknowledgment.
I want to take this opportunity thank the very wonderful Lady G over at seekthebestblog for nominating The Geo Gee Experience for The Blogger’s Recognition Award.
LadyG has been an ardent supporter of my work as well as an awesome motivator and inspiration. Receiving a nomination from a writer of such esteemed talent makes this highlight of my work all the more meaningful.
Acceptance of this nomination suggests that the nominee share a little history about their writing as well as some tips for fellow writers and bloggers. So here goes.
Why did I start blogging? I started blogging at the urging of people that I engaged in debates and conversations with. I was also inspired by the crop of bloggers that had cropped up on the Web before blogging really took off. Blogging gave me a platform to speak on issues I was passionate about.
Advice to new bloggers.
– Write for quality over quantity.
– Write from the heart.
– Write to engage while informing or entertaining.
– Support other writers – they’ll clap back with link love and exposure for you.
– Build a personal brand, style, and identity. Don’t follow the pack.
– Always thank those that invest their time in patronizing your work.
– Don’t get in your emotions when someone disagrees with something you’ve written. Part of writing for the public is to spark conversations and entertain different views and opinions. Embrace opposing opinions don’t acknowledge personal attacks.
– Read all you can about everything you can.
– If you write seriously long enough – something will go viral – be ready.
– Never write for stats – write for yourself and the reading public. Do that and trust me the stats will take of themselves.
This award is one that suggest it’s paid forward trough recognition of another blogger. That presents a huge problem for me because all of my favorite bloggers have already been nominated. Seekthebestblog would have been my top choice (love that blogs stories and content!) but it’s been nominated as well as Ron Brown’s Time Tunnel and T. Wayne.
I’m going to pay this one forward to the Medium housed blog The Coffeelious It’s a blog with some great stories and great writers that you’ll enjoy.
On that note – I’m going celebrate my nomination by drafting a blog post. that would be advice # 11 for new bloggers – never rest on your laurels .